Friday 7 November 2008

PARADISE









The Bureau of Meteorology in Australia runs a photographic competition each year.
This world maybe in an illusion but it can be a very beautiful one. Can be an absolute shocker too. Keith doesn't fancy getting caught in the lightening strike in Darwin. He can moan about every single picture on that calender; that sea looks cold, imagine spending the night there, fire!
It is so easy to get caught up in the world. So many distractions. Beautiful and bad.
If you were living a fairly comfortable life in a village experiencing the usual ups and downs, triumphs and disappointments, joy of birth the sadness of death, good health and crippling disease and you knew that just outside that village across the Swamp of Doom lay Paradise where there was nothing but bliss would you make the journey?
Depends what is in the Swamp of Doom.
But if you knew you could not die you wouldn't care what was in the swamp. And you'd walk into Paradise.
That pesky fear of dying again.
So that's the key; 1) Know that you never die and 2) be prepared to put up with a bit of unpleasantness for a while.
I'm having trouble with the first bit.
And the second if I'm honest.
But my rational brain is saying that I am conditioning myself with mumbo jumbo. It concedes that I have never been happier and lighter in my life despite what is going on around me. It also concedes that fundamentally I haven't changed and it is beginning to realise that my substratum is in fact happiness.
I have a choice;
1) Get involved in the world and try to conquer and bend everything to my will
or
2) Keep going, practicing my releasing, meditation, self enquiry, developing love, compassion and humility and getting happier and lighter.
I choose Paradise.
"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33 he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer - Bristow is only 27" - Sid Waddell.