Monday 3 November 2008

FEAR OF DYING

All problems stem from the fear of dying. Not just the terrifying fear of your own death but also of the people around you.
If we could be guaranteed we do not die, that we've never been born, and we just exist in love, peace and bliss forever - would we be worried about anything? Would we have any problems?
Probably.
Keith could find many ways. He does pretty well already. Despite all the evidence he still insists that we die.
Guru Adams once said to me that it was a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Doug was right. So whenever I have a problem I always ask if I can solve it with just potatoes. If I can't then I know I've got a major problem.
It also helps me get things in to perspective. That one moment of ridiculousness helps me see the reality.
There are no problems.
Everything is perfect. Exactly how they should be.
I didn't think it was perfect when my father died. And I don't think that now. And I'm not sure I can ever think that my father dying was in any way perfect.
But if we never die, we are never born, and we exist in love, peace and bliss. Eternal.
And if the only reason we don't see this is because we are looking at a mud caked window, then I am willing to try and open that window and see my father looking back.
I bet he's holding a potato and wants to use that mud to make it grow. Marvellous sense of humour.

'Do not look upon this world with fear and loathing. Bravely face whatever the gods offer. ' - Morihei Ueshiba.