Thursday 11 December 2008

FLOYD

Looking back I think my school was trying to tell me something. All the teachers had comical names. Mr Carpenter the woodwork teacher, Mrs French the French teacher and Mrs Spatula the Home Economics teacher. I made that last one up, but the others are true.
In 1979 Another Brick in the Wall was a hit in Britain, and was causing controversy. I was 13 and the English teacher, Mrs Semi-Colon, asked us to write an essay on it.
Mine was read out. I argued that the song was just as bad as the institution it was railing against. It's monotonous hypnotic beat inciting kids to rise up and change the system.
A popular idea with the teachers but not popular with the kids.
So the usual wedgie in the play ground and me wondering when I took my Duffle coat off at home where all that phlegm on the back of it had come from.
Looking back I think what I was trying to say was leave the world alone. I knew then deep down it was a pointless exercise to try and change it. It wont get any worse it wont get any better.
It is just a test.
I lost sight of that as I grew into adulthood, hypnotised by my surroundings. You can only be hypnotised if you want to be hypnotised.
I don't want to be hypnotised anymore.
Time to wake up.

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!" - Roger Waters.